Unclaimed Property

The City Finance Office is attempting to locate the rightful owners of more than $10,000 in unclaimed cash. These are people and businesses that have failed to request money that is owed to them. Perhaps they forgot to pick up a water deposit refund, a payroll or vendor check or money from other transactions within the City.

More than four hundred names are on the list. Each individual or company is owed $100 or less. In accordance with State Law, any amount over $100 dollars is sent to the State Comptroller where it is held until claimed.

We would love to give this money back to its rightful owners. It is not the City's cash to keep. We need your help in making this happen.

See if your name is on the list review a list of unclaimed funds of $100 or less owed by the City of Waco:

City of Waco Unclaimed Funds Listing(PDF, 586KB)

Steps to claim listed property:

  1. Click on the first link below to view list.
  2. Find name on our unclaimed property database.
  3. Fill-out and send in form and supporting documentation establishing your right to receive the property. (Forms are listed below)

State of Texas Database - Search by name. Companies as well as municipalities send their abandoned property to the state as required.

The National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators (NAUPA) has information about unclaimed property in all states. Individual State Unclaimed Funds

City of Waco Finance Office Property Claim Forms

If you find your name or an interested party of someone named on the unclaimed property list please print out and submit one of the three forms available to claim your funds.

Before sending in form remember to:

  1. Answer all questions and fill-in all blanks.
  2. Supply photocopies of required documentation.
  3. Sign and date form.

If questions arise while processing your claim, a Finance Office employee will contact you by phone or letter.


Common Questions and Answers

Did you find your name and don't know what the money is for?
Many of the names on our list are from checks returned to the city by the post office. Most of these are for returned water and sewer account deposit refunds that were mailed after the account holder moved without noting a forwarding address. Please provide old addresses, which we can use to match claimant name with our records.

Why do we ask for proof of your Social Security Number?
We cannot require you send us this number but it might be the only way we can match your name to a water and sewer account. To the extent provided by law the Social Security Number provided is confidential.

Are you unable to see the claim forms?
To view the listed claim forms you need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If you do not have this free program click here: Download Adobe Acrobat to obtain it. In addition, printed forms will also be made available in the Finance Office in City Hall, which is located downtown at 300 Austin Avenue.

Is there a charge for making or receiving a claim?
There is no charge to make a claim.

What is the maximum fee that can be charged by a search firm?
Texas law limits the fee charged by all search firms or private investigators that assist owners in locating and claiming abandoned property to no more than 10% of the amounts recovered.