Station 4 was established in 1893 after Waco Fire Chief A.M. Prescott requested permission to create additional fire stations to better serve the growing city. That September, a group of residents met at John Moore’s store at 5th and Speight to organize a new fire company, which became known as Baylor Hose Company No. 4. Later that year, the company opened on South 5th Street at James Avenue and was also known as the South End Station or Baylor Engine Co. No. 4.
Station 4 remained on South 5th Street for 73 years before Waco voters approved bond funding in 1957 to build a larger facility. The City exchanged its land at 5th and James with Baylor-owned land at 10th and Speight, where a new station was built to look more like a home and blend into the surrounding neighborhood. The Waco City Council accepted the new station in July 1966, and firefighters moved in soon after.
More than 130 years after its founding, Station 4 continues to protect Baylor University, central Waco, and much of south Waco. Today, it is home to Engine 4 and Brush 4 and remains one of the busiest stations in the Waco Fire Department.
A new Station 4 is currently under construction on LaSalle Avenue and is scheduled for completion in late 2027.
1002 Speight Ave, Waco, TX 76706 View Map
1002 Speight Ave , Waco, TX 76706