The study guide will be made available to applicants who have a completed application on file. The study guide contains examples of material covered on the civil service entrance exam and is designed to assist with preparing for the exam. The study guide can be downloaded in a printable format or hard copy available at Waco Fire Administration.
Study Guide & Workbook(PDF, 1MB)
Physical Ability Study Guide(PDF, 149KB)
All applicants who score 70% or higher will be ranked on an Eligibility List based on their score. Tied scores will be ranked according to Civil Service Rules. All other phases of the selection process are either pass or fail.
- U.S. citizen, 18-35 years of age (cannot have reached 36th birthday at time of written exam)
- High School Diploma or GED with 12 semester hours from an accredited college or university
- Hold basic firefighter and emergency medical technician (EMT) certifications from the appropriate State of Texas agencies, or able to obtain within three (3) months of the Civil Service Firefighter Exam.
- Valid Texas driver’s license (required to obtain a Texas Class B license while in training)
- Good driving record
- Pass the written examination and physical agility test
- No felony convictions
- Pass a criminal background check, reference check and a polygraph examination
- Veterans receive 5 additional points on passing exam score but must provide their DD214 showing an honorable discharge
- Meet all requirements of the Civil Service Commission and the City of Waco
- Pass medical examination including normal hearing and vision of at least 20/100 in each eye and correctable to 20/20 (binocular)
If you have any questions regarding employment with the Waco Fire Department,
please call the Administration Office at (254) 750-1740.
More on the employment process...