Water Conservation FAQs

Utility Profile & Water Conservation Plan

(Effective: July 1, 2024)

Why is the City adopting year-round water conservation?
The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) requires all water suppliers serving at least 3,300 connections to update their Water Conservation and Drought Contingency Plans every 5 years. This plan uses data from the past 5 years and provides guidance during normal conditions and water emergencies. 

What does hand-watering include?
Watering by hand indicates a person watering with a water hose or watering can. It does not mean a hose connected to a sprinkler. The hose must be connected to an automatic shutoff nozzle.

What is the City of Waco doing to reduce water usage?
The City will continue to monitor lake levels, maintain meters and other infrastructure and to make repairs as needed. We use water sensors and customer reporting to identify leaks and issues to complete repairs as soon as possible. 

What happens to wholesale customers and other cities using Waco water? Will they have to comply?
Wholesale customers are responsible for notifying their residents or water users of their conservation plan. Our water billing staff will be monitoring consumption and reporting any non-compliance.

Woodway has a water exchange contract rather than a wholesale contract. Due to differences in these contract types, Woodway develops its own contingency plan in cooperation with Bluebonnet Water Supply Company. For additional information about the City of Woodway’s drought plan, you can contact them at (254) 772-4480.

Will athletic fields and golf courses be able to water more than three days per week?
Athletic fields and golf courses will submit a mandatory water plan that outlines how much water they will use. The plans will be evaluated by the Director of Water Utility Services each year on October 1.

How can I report violations?
Residents can report non-compliance through the MyWaco app or by calling (254) 299-CITY. Violations will be investigated by City of Waco staff. 

What are the consequences for violators?
Violations must be observed by at least one City employee. A fine of up to $2000 can be assessed for each violation. Three or more violations at a service address within a 30-day period can result in service being discontinued. 

I just planted new grass and trees, what do I do?
Residents and businesses may apply for a 60-day variance on newly planted grass/landscaping. Variance durations will be adjusted during times of drought.

What if I need to fill/refill my pool?
Outdoor pools, hot tubs and spas are encouraged to be covered when not in use. You can refill pools on your watering days. 

What about water slides and charity car washes?
Water slides and charity car washes are allowed through Drought Stage 2. 

What does excessive runoff from watering mean?
Staff will look for excessive flows that run down the street and/or sprinklers spraying 10 feet or more from the property.

Why do you still flush fire hydrants?
Hydrant flushing can prevent highly chlorinated water from entering the rest of the system after a leak or repair. The hydrants are also flushed to maintain the correct level of disinfectant in the water. Disinfectants degrade over time and need testing and adjustments to keep water safe. Heat actually makes this happen faster, so flushing is especially important during the summer.