When temperatures drop, a few simple steps can save you from broken pipes.
Keep your water flowing to save time & money!
- Check Your Sprinklers: Turn the whole system off and check your timers to make sure they won't come on automatically
- Find Your Shut-off Valve: Locate your main water shut-off valve before a freeze, so you can shut it off in an emergency
- Protect Your Pipes: Wrap outdoor pipes with insulation foam or a towel/trash bag combo
- Keep Water Moving: Allow a small trickle of water to run through your pipes if temps drop below freezing
- Let in Some Heat: If pipes run through cabinets or vanities, open the doors to let in warmth
If your pipes do freeze:
- Shut Off Your Water: Turn off the water at the main valve immediately
- Thaw Your Pipes: Use a hair dryer or a space heater to heat the air around a frozen pipe
- Start Back Slow: Once pipes thaw, turn water on at a low level and check for leaks
Lake Waco Wetlands Prescribed Burn
Prescribed burns are used as a management tool in natural areas to improve habitats that were historically maintained by natural fires. The prescribed burns decrease available fuels and reduce the risk of destructive wildfire.
For more information on the prescribed burn, visit the Lake Waco Wetlands page.
Waco Water Crews on the Job during Holiday Cold Snap
An early Arctic blast brought freezing temperatures to Central Texas. If you were safe and warm at home, you might not know that our Waco Water crew was out in the weather on emergency calls. A quick drop in temperature can cause major damage to our water system, but we are always ready to take the call. During this last freeze, a call on Frederick Ave. brought crews out on Christmas Eve to make sure everything was flowing smoothly as soon as possible.
Water System Maintenance December 14 through January 11
We will conduct a system-wide cleaning beginning December 14. The disinfection method for your water will change temporarily. We do this maintenance to remove organic matter that builds up in pipes over time. The refresh helps us maintain high water quality and extend the life of our water system.
You might notice a change in the taste and/or odor of your water. There are no health effects associate with the taste and odor changes, and the water will return to normal once the cleaning is done.