The mission of the Waco Youth Council is to provide Waco's youth with an active role in addressing community issues and to serve as a voice for youth in all aspects of the community.
The Care for Waco Carnival
- The Waco Youth Council, in partnership with the City of Waco Office of Sustainability and Resiliency, hosted "The Care for Waco Carnival" on Saturday, April 22 at the Doris Miller Community Center (1020 Elm Ave.). This free, family-friendly event featured food, games, arts and crafts, face painting and more. Attendees were able to check out many educational booths, which will showcase topics on composting, gardening, EVs, water conservation, recycling and other sustainable matters. Next year the Carnival will be held on Saturday, April 27 in partnership with the Office of Sustainability and other community organizations.
The Waco Youth Council Commission consists of 17-25 members. Members are eligible for multiple terms.
The Waco Youth Council has been formally in existence since 1999 and serves as a Youth Advisory Board to the Waco City Council. Memberships of the Youth Council will be representative of the age, genders, and ethnicity of the youth of Waco, and will represent a balance of geographical areas of the City of Waco.
Membership of the Youth Council will attempt to be composed of at least one representative from each of the high schools with Waco residents as attendants.
- To define specific ways to address community issues as they arise through the development of goals and objectives and recommended actions.
- To encourage and promote the education of youth regarding city government and the importance of citizen input, participation, and responsibility.
- To assist and advise the mayor, city council, and city departments and to schedule meetings with the mayor, city council and city staff on an as needed basis.
- To conduct surveys, studies, forums, seminars, workshops, special events, and awards as appropriate.
- To serve as youth ambassadors for the City of Waco.
Application packet materials may be mailed to:
Parks and Recreation
ATTN: Youth Council Application Packet
PO Box 2570
Waco, Texas 76702-2570
- Application packet materials may be faxed to: (254) 750-8087
- Application packet materials may be scanned and emailed to: WacoYouthCouncil@wacotx.gov
- Incomplete application packets will not be considered.
Qualified, selected candidates will be contacted to participate in a conference call interview in May. If you have any questions, please contact the Youth Council Advisors at WacoYouthCouncil@wacotx.gov or by phone at (254) 750-5980.
Meetings & Activities
Regular Youth Council meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays of each month from 5:30 to 7 p.m. The Youth Council also participates in other activities, meetings and community service projects in addition to their regular meeting schedule.
For more information, call (254) 750-5980.