Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How Do I Open an Account?

Call (254) 299-CITY (2489) to open a utilities account. Have your Social Security Number handy. Residential Security Deposits are based on previous account history and credit history. They can range from $75 to $300. A $50 service fee and $12.50 solid waste administration fee will also be added to a new residential service bill.

How Do I Transfer My Service?

Give us a call at (254) 299-CITY (2489) to transfer your service. There will be a $50 service charge on the first bill at the new address. Your deposits will transfer. Any outstanding balances will also transfer.

What if I need help paying my bill?

Care & Share

We work with Caritas in a program called Care & Share. Residents can contribute funds and residents in need can receive funds to help with utility bill payments.

To contribute funds to the Care & Share program: call (254) 299-CITY (2489)

To get more information about receiving funds from the Care & Share program: contact Caritas (254) 753-4593

Utility Help

Customers who meet income requirements can apply for assistance at Call (855) 566-2057 or visit to see if you qualify. This assistance can be used for existing balances and future bills. 

How Do We Read Your Water Meter?

Reading your water meter accurately is priority. Our readers use Automated Metering Infrastructure (AMI) to read over 40,000 meters. Automated metering systems are comprised of state-of-the-art digital hardware and software. They combine interval data measurement with continuously available remote communications. This enables detailed, time-based measurement, collection and transmission of information. A comparison report shows any reads that are too high or too low (Hi-Lo Report). Items in that report get checked again to ensure accuracy before billing.

How Can I Read My Water Meter?

The meter shows the total number of gallons of water recorded since installation. The meter reader discards the last two numbers (the ones with the black background) to measure usage. Figure out your month's usage by subtracting last month's number from the current number. Click here for more help reading your meter.(PDF, 535KB)

How Can I Check for a Water Leak?

  1. Make sure all faucets are off and no water is running.
  2. Locate the meter that supplies your home. See if the red sweep hand is moving or the small black triangle is turning.
  3. If it is, you have a leak and water is going through the meter.
  4. If you have a shut off valve that isolates the house from the yard line, turn it off, and check the meter.
  5. If it continues to run, the leak could be in the yard line. If it stops the leak is in the house.

To figure out where the leak is in your house turn off different fixtures and check to  see if the meter is still running.
Check toilets, hot water tanks, basins and sinks.
If you cannot locate a fixture leak, the leak could be under the house.

How Can I Tell if My Toilet is Running?

There is a simple dye test to see if a toilet is running. This test shows whether the flapper is seated correctly. Use red, green or blue food coloring or flavored drink mix.

If you use cleaning tablets in your commode tank, remove them and flush the water clear. Take the lid off the back of the toilet. Put the coloring in the back of the tank, but don't flush the toilet. Let it sit several hours.

If color shows up in the toilet bowl, the flapper seals in the toilet are not seating properly. A worn flapper is the most common cause. Get an inexpensive replacement to fix the problem.

If you have to jiggle the handle to make your toilet stop running, a handle or flapper replacement might fix it. If you suspect you have a leak, contact a plumber or your landlord.

What is Backflow?

Backflow is an unwanted flow of water in the reverse direction. It can cause health risks by contaminating our potable water.

What can stop this from happening? A backflow preventer, or sometimes called a reduced pressure zone (RPZ) device.

Who do I contact if I have a question about backflow?

Please call (254) 750-8019 with questions concerning our backflow program.

Who do I contact if I have a stop-up?

If you have a stop-up, call (254) 299-CITY (2489) and report it.

Why is all that water just flowing out of the hydrant and into the street?

Hydrant flushing can prevent highly chlorinated water from entering the rest of the system after a leak or repair. The hydrants are also flushed to maintain the correct level of disinfectant in the water. Disinfectants degrade over time and need testing and adjustments to keep water safe. Heat actually makes this happen faster, so flushing is especially important during the summer.