Spay is the Way!
(254) 752-SPAY (7729)
Spay/Neuter & Microchip is the LAW in Waco
About the Law:
- Applies only to dogs and cats over four months of age.
- Owned dogs & cats: In addition to state-mandatory rabies vaccination, owned dogs and cats must be spayed/neutered & microchipped.
- Community cats: In addition to the state-mandatory rabies vaccination, outside cats, both owned and unowned, must be spayed or neutered. No microchip required for community cats with the Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) left ear tip, performed during spay/neuter surgery.
Exceptions to the Law:
- Breeder pets must be microchipped, and must also have a veterinarian-issued Health Statement issued at least once every two years that must include the pet's microchip number.
- Each puppy or kitten in a litter must be microchipped by four months of age and have a vet-issued Health Statement prior to sale or transfer.
- Breeder must have this information available upon request by law enforcement or animal control.
If animal is impounded, it is required
that they bring their information to the
shelter when animal is claimed. It is the new owner’s responsibility to obtain these documents from their Breeder during the sale or transfer of the animal.
Sample Health Statement
- A veterinarian can exempt a non-breeding pet for medical / health reasons. This exemption must be documented on the pet's medical record. Pet owner must have this information available upon request by law enforcement or animal control.
Free & Low-Cost Options - Eligibility
- Residents of the City of Waco may qualify for FREE spay/neuter for owned dogs and cats based on income, location/zip code, and available funding.
- Clinics offering FREE & LOW-COST spay/neuter options are:
- Community Cats (outdoor or outdoor/indoor) located in the 76708 zip code qualify for free Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR). TNR includes spay/neuter, Rabies and a left “eartip” performed by a vet during spay/neuter surgery. Loaner TNR traps available with refundable deposit. For more details, visit FreeCatFix.org
FACT: There are FREE and low-cost options to getting your animal spay/neutered and microchipped. A fine for non-compliance could cost you over $500 if your animal gets impounded at the Animal Shelter.
Spay/neuter surgery could cost as little as $60 (depending on your qualifications and where you get the surgery performed).
(Subject to change. Please call first.)
- When a pet gets a new owner, it is the previous owner’s responsibility to make sure that new owner updates the pet’s microchip owner contact information. This can be done by contacting the microchip company (i.e., HomeAgain, 24PetWatch, Avid, ResQ, etc).
- Residents may have their pet microchipped at their pet’s full-service veterinarian.
- Low-cost microchip providers in McLennan County: Humane Society of Central Texas ($20) and Animal Birth Control Clinic ($25).
- Happy Endings Dog Rescue has low-cost microchips, and chip clinics on the 2nd Saturday of the month ($10).
- McLennan Area Rescue Coalition (MARC) hosts free microchip clinics approximately once a month.
- The City of Waco will partner with other organizations to provide free microchip clinics in areas of Waco. Follow SpayStreet Waco on Facebook for upcoming dates!
A Volunteer Effort
SpayStreet Waco is a volunteer effort with members of the community in partnership with Animal Control and the Animal Shelter to spread the word about the Spay/Neuter and Microchip law that went into effect January 1, 2014.
Numerous outreach efforts are planned to focus on areas of Waco help and educate citizens on free and low-cost options available to them to have their pets spay/neutered and microchipped to keep their pets in compliance with the law.
This volunteer effort also addresses strays in our community and helps in getting them spayed and/or neutered and adopted out to good homes.
It is a fact that by spay/neutering your pet, they live healthier lives, are less likely to roam and keeps our animal shelter population down.