Waco Youth Council
The Mission of the Waco Youth Council is to provide Waco's youth with an active role in addressing community issues and to serve as a voice for youth in all aspects of the community.
The Waco Youth Council Commission consists of 17-25 members. Members are eligible for multiple terms.
The Waco Youth Council has been formally in existence since 1999 and serves as a Youth Advisory Board to the Waco City Council. Memberships of the Youth Council will be representative of the age, genders, and ethnicity of the youth of Waco, and will represent a balance of geographical areas of the City of Waco.
Membership of the Youth Council will attempt to be composed of at least one representative from each of the high schools with Waco residents as attendants.
- To define specific ways to address community issues as they arise through the development of goals and objectives and recommended actions.
- To encourage and promote the education of youth regarding city government and the importance of citizen input, participation, and responsibility.
- To assist and advise the mayor, city council, and city departments and to schedule meetings with the mayor, city council and city staff on an as needed basis.
- To conduct surveys, studies, forums, seminars, workshops, special events, and awards as appropriate.
- To serve as youth ambassadors for the City of Waco.
To qualify to serve on the Waco Youth Council, applicants and members must be:
- Waco residents;
- Entering 9th through 12th grade public, private, or home school;
- A role model for local youth and able to serve as ambassadors for the City of Waco;
- Committed to accomplishing the purpose of the Waco Youth Council; and
- Able to consistently attend regular meetings and events for or by the Waco Youth Council.
The application period will be from Monday, March 28 until 5 p.m. Monday, May 2, 2022.
- Parent Guardian Recommendation
- Teacher Counselor Recommendation
- Open Recommendation
- Student Parent-Guardian Agreement
- Student Parent-Guardian Honor Code
Application packet materials may be mailed to:
Completed Application Packets must be submitted to the City of Waco Parks and Recreation Department
-To submit electronically, send to WacoYouthCouncil@wacotx.gov
-To submit by mail, send to Parks and Recreation, Attn: Youth Council Application Packet, PO Box 2570, Waco, TX 76702-2570
-To submit in person, bring to Parks and Recreation Office at 201 West Waco Drive on the 2nd floor of the Community Services building
Applications must be received no later than 5pm on Monday, May 2, 2022.
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Qualified, selected candidates will be contacted to participate in an interview in May. If you have any questions, please contact the Youth Council Advisor at WacoYouthCouncil@wacotx.gov or by phone at (254) 750-5980.
Meetings & Activities
Regular Youth Council meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays of each month from 5:30 to 7 p.m. The Youth Council also participates in other activities, meetings and community service projects in addition to their regular meeting schedule.