Common Questions

Where can I get a garage sale permit?

Garage Sale permits can be obtained from the Finance Department on the fourth floor of City Hall, at the Water Office (425 Franklin); or at the Development Center (4th & Franklin). Citizens may have 2 garage sales in a calendar year as long as they get a permit each time before the sale. The permits are currently $10.00. The garage sales are good for 3 consecutive days. If you are 65 years of age or older, you have to get the permit but you are exempt from the fee with proof of birthday.

Where can I get a Driver's License?

The Department of Public Safety (DPS) driver's license office is located at 1617 E. Crest Drive. The phone number is (254) 759-7120. If you are a new resident of the state and hold a valid driver's license from another state, Texas law requires you to obtain a Texas Driver's License within 30 days of establishing residency. You will need to bring a certified copy of your birth certificate or passport, a valid out of state driver's license, social security card, Texas registration receipts, and proof of liabilitiy insurance if you own an automobile. For more information visit Texas Online.

Auto Inspections

Texas drivers must have their automobiles inspected for safety every 12 months. This inspection and approval sticker may be obtained at approved auto dealerships, service stations, garages, and auto service centers. The inspection sticker is valid for one year, except in the case of new cars which may have a two year sticker. The sticker, which shows the number of the year and the month in which the inspection expires, must be displayed in the lower left hand corner of the front windshield.

Vehicle Registration

All out of state vehicles must be registered within 30 days of establishing residency in Texas. Vehicles may be registered at the McLennan County Records Building located at 215 North 5th Street in Waco. For more information, call (254) 757-5151.

You will need to bring the following items:

  1. Proof of safety inspection
  2. Out of state title
  3. Payment of new resident fee, title fee, and license fee
  4. Proof of insurance on vehicle

Election Information

Where can I register to vote?

To register to vote in the State of Texas, either on the local or national basis, you must be an American citizen and be at least 18 years of age. Registration consists of filling out and mailing in a Voter Registration Application. Applications may be found at the Elections Department located in the McLennan County Records Building, 215 North 5th Street in Waco. It takes 30 days from the date of the application before you are eligible to vote. For more information, call (254) 757-5043.

How can I find out what precinct I live in?

Contact the McLennan County Elections Office at (254) 757-5043.

Marriage/Birth/Death Records

Where can I obtain a marriage license?

The McLennan County Records Building, 215 North 5th Street in Waco.
The phone number is (254) 757-5078.

Where can I obtain a copy of death records?

The McLennan County Records Building, 215 North 5th Street in Waco.
The phone number is (254) 757-5188.

Where can I obtain a copy of a birth certificate?

The McLennan County Public Health District at 225 W. Waco Drive. The phone number is (254) 750-5462. A form is available online, click here: Birth Certificate

Choices in Utilities

Click here to learn about providers in the area. Water, Sewer and sanitation service in Waco is handled by the City of Waco. Our office is located at 425 Franklin. For more information, call (254) 299-CITY.

Storm Damage

Tree Limbs The City of Waco Parks & Recreation will remove limbs and debris from storm damage that occurs on city properties and alleys. Their phone number is (254) 750-5980.

City of Waco Home >>