Welcome to Find Waco!
Updates by text
Text the words 'waco all' to 72337 for all incident information on Central Texas I-35 including new incidents, all updates, and cleared notices.
Text the words 'waco limited' to 72337 for a minimal set of messages for all new incidents on Central Texas I-35 and cleared notices. This message set does not Include Incident updates.
About the Project
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is beginning their construction/renovation of the I35 Corridor through Waco and we need your help in driving safely and staying informed!
This construction project is complex considering the significant amount of daily traffic through the core of Waco. TxDOT will be working hard to get this job done safely and efficiently while being considerate of the impacts and inconvenience of construction. Improvements include:
• Widening mainlanes to 4 lanes in each direction
• Improving frontage roads and ramps
• Reconstructing bridges and improving interchanges
• Adding U-turns
• Improving bicycle and pedestrian access
Funding Construction Cost: $341 million
Schedule Construction begins in May 2019 and is anticipated to be complete in 2024. Initial construction activity starts on the frontage roads and the northbound mainlanes. Northbound mainlanes will be reduced to two lanes in various locations. (*All information generated from TxDOT.)
Update February 2021
Later this month, crews plan to shift mainlane traffic from 12th Street to BUS 77 onto the newly reconstructed lanes on the west side of I-35. That means a smoother ride for drivers!
In order to safely perform the traffic shift, crews will need to temporarily close the following northbound exits:
8th Street – 4th/5th Streets – Downtown – University Parks Drive (Exit 335A)
- Temporarily closed for up to one week so crews can reconstruct the northbound ramp
- The team is evaluating options to improve northbound frontage road access during this closure and will share more information as details are confirmed
MLK Boulevard (Exit 335C)
- Temporarily closed for approximately one year so crews can work in the area
Additional closures may be needed following the traffic shift. More information will be shared as work approaches.
In other exciting news, the permanent southbound exits for MLK Boulevard (Exit 335C) and for University Parks Drive – 4th/5th Streets – Downtown (Exit 335B) will open once traffic is shifted.
Additionally, once traffic is shifted, crews will start reconstructing the northbound lanes by removing the overpasses at the Union Pacific Railroad, MLK Boulevard, Brazos River, University Parks Drive, and 4th/5th Streets. More information will be shared as this work is scheduled.
TxDOT plans to shift remaining mainlane traffic from BUS 77 to N Loop 340 to the newly reconstructed lanes by mid-2021. More details will be shared as work is scheduled.
The communications team is in the process of notifying businesses and residents, community groups, ISDs and others about this work while developing materials to share with the community at large. Please feel free to reach out at any time with questions, needs, or concerns.
*** Latest Construction Information ***
Northbound lane and shoulder closure to rehabilitate and widen shoulder, and overlay pavement in preparation for mainlane work.
• Southbound - various lane closures from N. Loop 340 to 12th St.
• Northbound - various lane closures beginning near Dutton Ave. and Behrens Cr.
Bridges Interchanges and ramps
Southbound Exit 335A for 4th – 5th Streets permanently removed
– use Exit 335C for MLK Jr. Blvd.
Pedestrian bridge at 8th St. permanently removed
– use existing facilities at 4th and 5th Streets.
Beginning Spring 2019
• BUS 77 direct ramp access permanently removed – use ground-level intersection
Follow local TxDOT updates on Twitter!