2019-2020 Waco City Council
Next Waco General Election May 2, 2020
The City of Waco will hold a General Election for Mayor and Council Members District I and III on May 2, 2020. Additional information about the General Election will be provided.
Location of May 2, 2020 of City of Waco General Election to be determined: McLennan County Vote Centers
City of Waco Election Results
Eligibility for City Council Office
Standard Eligibility Requirements for Public Office
Election Code Sec. 141.001(a)
- Be a United States Citizen.
- Be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election.
- Have not been determined mentally incompetent by a final judgment of a court.
- Have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities.
- Have resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the territory, as applicable, for six months immediately preceding the deadline for filing an application for a place on the ballot.
- Candidate must satisfy any other eligibility requirements prescribed by law for this office.
City of Waco Home Rule Charter Requirements
- Citizen of United States.
- 21 years of age
- Qualified voter of the State and City for 12 months immediately preceding the date of election.
- If elected from a district, must be a resident of the district for six months preceding the date of election.
- Candidate will file application with City Secretary designating office sought and sworn statement by the candidate that they are fully qualified under the Laws of the State of Texas and the provisions of the Charter.
- Election Code Sec. 11.001 and 11.002 A person meets the age requirement for voting on the day before his 18th birthday [Sec. 1.016]
- 18 years of age or older on the day of the election.
- Citizen of the United States.
- Not disqualified as mentally incompetent.
- Not disqualified as a convicted felon [Discharge papers issued by pardons & paroles division].
- Resident of the state on the day of the election.
- A registered voter on the day of the election.
Registered voter who meets all other requirements for voting. A registration becomes effective on the 30th day after the day the application is submitted to the registrar or on the date the applicant becomes 18 years old, whichever is later. [Sec. 13.143]
Eligibility to Vote
Election Code Sec. 11.001
- Be a qualified voter as defined above.
- Be a resident of the territory covered by the election for the office on which the person desires to vote.
- Satisfy all other requirements for voting prescribed by law for particular election.