How Do I Open an Account?

Opening an account is simple and in most cases can be completed over the phone. The initial Residential Security Deposits* range from $75 to $300, $50 service call fee, and a $12.50 solid waste administration fee for new residential service customers with one business day notice.

*Deposits are based on any previous account history as well as other credit history. Additional deposits may be required depending on payment history.  Commercial customers may call us for a quote on their service. 

How Do I Transfer My Service?

If you already have service with us and have a single month bill, a quick telephone call to us is all it takes to transfer to any area that we service. There is a service call charge of $50 that we will bill to you on the first bill at the new address. We will also transfer any deposits that you may have along with any balance.

How Can I Read My Water Meter?

The reading is taken from the figures under the words gallons on your water meter. The meter shows the total number of gallons of water recorded since the meter was installed. Because our charge is based on number of gallons, the meter reader discards the last two numbers (the ones with the black background). Your bill would be figured by subtracting the old number from the new number after one month's usage.

How Can I Check for a Water Leak?

First, make sure all faucets in the home are off and no water is running. Then locate the meter that supplies your home. Observe to see if the red sweep hand is moving or if your meter is equipped with a small black triangle (this is a low flow indicator) check to see if it is turning. If so you have a leak and water is going through the meter. If you have a shut off valve that isolates the house from the yard line, turn it off, and check the meter. If it continues to run, the leak could be located in the yard line. If it stops the leak is located in the house.

The next step is to isolate different fixtures or outlets in the home you suspect could be leaking. (Example; toilets, hot water tank, basin). Turn these fixtures off and then recheck the meter to see if it still is running. If the meter is still running after isolating different fixtures in the house, it's possible the leak is under the house.

There is also a simple dye test you can do to see if a toilet is running. This test is designed to show whether or not the flapper is seated correctly. Food coloring or flavored drink mix can be used for this test. Please use red, green or blue.

If you use cleaning tablets in your commode tank, remove them and flush the water clear. Take the lid off the back of the toilet. Put the coloring in the back of the tank. DO NOT FLUSH THE TOILET. Let it sit several hours. If the color shows up in the toilet bowl all by itself, or if the tank and the bowl have flushed themselves clear, the FLAPPER SEALS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE TOILET TANK ARE NOT SEATING PROPERLY AND NEED TO BE REPLACED.

If the color is still all in the tank, then the flapper is seating properly. If you have to jiggle the handle to make your toilet stop running, you need to get it fixed. If you suspect you have a leak, the recommended thing to do is to contact a plumber, or your landlord.

What is Backflow?

A simple example; It's a nice summer day and you decide to give your dog 'Rocky' a bath. You fill up a wash tub with an outside faucet and hose, next you wrestle Rocky into the tub and start scrubbing him down with flea and tick shampoo, well, this gets Rocky upset and he gets away from you and runs off, so you leave the hose in the tub turned on while you chase him down; meanwhile down the street, the fire department is flushing fire hydrants. This drops the pressure in the water main and creates a risk for siphonage, where water 'backflows'. Now Rocky's bathwater is being sucked back into the water main and into the public water system via the water hose, this is the cross-connection. Now, your neighbor has been working outside and it's a hot summer day and goes inside to get a drink of water, he notices a funny smell, and sees small insects (fleas from Rocky's bath) swimming in his glass, not very pleasing.

The same situation can happen with sprinkler heads in an underground sprinkler system, where you've just added chemicals to your yard, or in a factory where they use chemicals and dilute them with water. What can stop this from happening? A backflow preventer, or sometimes called a reduced pressure zone (RPZ) device.

Who do I contact if I have a question about backflow?

Please call (254) 750-8019 with questions concerning our backflow program.

Who do I contact if I have a stop-up?

If you have a stop-up, call (254) 299-CITY (2489) and report it. 

How Do We Read Your Water Meter?

Reading your water meter accurately is priority. Our readers read meters 5 days of the week. After they have read their routes using a Solid State Interrogator (SSI), the information is downloaded and the reads updated from the previous month. A comparison report is then printed to show any reads that are too high or too low (Hi-Lo Report), and anything that shows up in that report gets checked twice, sometimes up to three times to ensure accuracy before billing.

Why is all that water just flowing out of the hydrant and into the street?

It may seem strange to see utility workers letting thousands of gallons of water flow freely from a hydrant, particularly during the hot summer months or even a drought. So why do we do this? Well, there are several reasons. Take a look at this video for a full explanation.

Who is "Precious" the Water Drop?

Who's big and blue and full of life? Precious, the City's Water Drop Mascot! Precious is a happy soul whose mission is to remind everyone how vital water is to our lives and how important it is that we take good care of it. Why, did you know that as many as 10 gallons of water are wasted when you let the faucet run while you brush your teeth? That's a lot! When you see Precious, remember that "water is our most Precious resource" and that it's everyone's responsibility to use it wisely.

Precious loves people and is available for community events. For more information, please call Karen Gafford at (254) 299-CITY (2489).