The historic Suspension Bridge was completed in 1870 and remains a legendary icon of downtown Waco. For years, the bridge served as a Chisholm Trail crossing, and at the time of its completion, it was the longest single-span suspension bridge west of the Mississippi. The bridge was built with cable supplied by the John Roebling Co., who built the Brooklyn Bridge in New York City.
The bridge is flanked by two great Waco parks — Indian Spring Park on the west side, and Martin Luther King, Jr. park on the east side. The bridge is the centerpiece of many community festivals and events, and serves as a great venue for parties and special events.
In 2008, the first pieces of the “Branding the Brazos” sculptures made their debut next to the bridge. The towering Chisholm Trail sculptures, crafted by Robert Summers, include an oversized, bronze trail boss driving longhorns on their way to crossing the Brazos. Additional art pieces and monuments also surround the bridge.
The Waco Riverwalk includes approximately seven miles of multi-use, lighted trail that loops along both banks of the Brazos River. The scenic riverwalk stretches from Baylor University to Cameron Park and passes underneath the Suspension Bridge. The rivewalk is accessible from various points throught downtown Waco and captures the natural beauty of the Brazos River Corridor.
The East Riverwalk section in downtown Waco is a 2/3-mile trail, lighted pathway necessary to achieve a continuous 5.5-mile downtown Riverwalk loop from Baylor to Cameron Park. The bike and pedestrian connection stretches from McLane Stadium to the existing Riverwalk at Franklin Avenue. The trail passes under several bridges and sections were built above the Brazos River.