Right-of-Way Permit Process
An Approved Traffic Control Plan is Required for Almost all Right-of-Way Permits
Please click the above link to learn when a traffic control plan is required and the preparation and submittal requirements there of.
No Right-of-Way Construction Shall be Allowed in the Pavement of Streets Improved for the Prior Five Years with Minimal Exception
In accordance with Code of Ordinances Chapter 23 – Right-of-Way Management Article II. – Construction Sec. 23-33. – New Streets the city shall maintain and reasonably make available a list of all streets improved for the prior five years.(XLSX, 60KB) Contact ROW-Permits@wacotx.gov for Projects Under Construction. No right-of-way construction shall be allowed in the pavement of the listed streets except in an emergency or as otherwise approved by the city engineer.
Steps to Acquire a Right-of-Way Permit for Street cuts, Drive Approaches, Sidewalk, Curb & Gutter, Alleys and Handicap Ramps
- Contractor / Cement Bonded Residential Property Owner submits plans to ROW-Permits@wacotx.gov for plan review. The email should include, date and time stamped photograph(s) showing the full area of the right-of-way of the proposed work, the address for the project, plans with dimensions including distance from the property line and/or adjacent streets, and the contact information for the bonded contractor.
- Development Engineer determines type of permit needed (cement permit or street opening permit); distributes approved plans and a summary of quantities to Engineering Administrative Assistant for invoicing and the Right-of-Way Engineering Inspector.
- Contractor / Cement Bonded Property Owner will obtain the right-of-way permit and an invoice for payment from the Engineering Administrative Assistant.
- Contractor / Cement Bonded Property Owner makes payments through the Inspection Services Department..
- Engineering Administrative Assistant issues right-of-way permit.
- Contractor / Cement Bonded Property Owner is to contact 24 hours in advance of construction the Right-of-Way Engineering Inspector for the inspection.
Franchise Utilities — Any work within the Right-of-Way
Plan Requirements for Franchise Utilities Right-of-Way Permits
per Code of Ordinances Sec. 23-22. Same—Location and placement.
- For 4-inch and smaller franchise utility line note of a 3-foot horizontal separation distance from outside to outside existing water, sanitary sewer, and stormwater facilities is sufficient.
- For 6-inch and greater franchise utility line need to show the existing water, sanitary sewer, and stormwater facilities in the plan view and maintain the 3-foot horizontal separation from outside to outside. Need to show in the profile view maintaining a minimum of 6-inch vertical separation from outside to outside when crossing any existing facility.
Expedited process for routine maintenance or repetitive small scale work such as leak repairs.
- Utility submits permit request forms via email to ROW-Permits@wacotx.gov
- Development Engineer reviews request and issues permit for locations listed on request.
- Utility notifies Right-of-Way Engineering Inspector 24 hrs before beginning work.
- Right-of-Way Engineering inspects backfill before surface replacement is performed.
Construction within Right-of-Way that does not meet the requirements of the expedited process.
- Utility submits permit request and plans to ROW-Permits@wacotx.gov in accordance with ordinance.
- Development Engineer reviews plans and issues permit.
- Utility contacts Right-of-Way Engineering Inspector 24 hrs before beginning work.
Emergencies — An emergency as defined by City Ordinance.
- Utility contacts City Engineer or Engineering Inspections Supervisor before performing any work or as soon as practical after beginning work.
- Utility is still responsible for submitting a written permit request to ROW-Permits@wacotx.gov.
- After plan is accepted Public Works Department will issue permit.