Small Business Support
We All Win, Waco
The City of Waco will utilize a significant portion of its American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding to support small businesses. Additionally, the City Manager added Tax Financing Fund (TIF) and General Fund resources to support small businesses in historically blighted commercial corridors.
These programs represent the largest investment in small businesses ever made by the City of Waco. This is a recognition of the dedicated and hard-working people that keep the Waco economy moving and attempts to reduce the impacts of COVID-19, construction, and a long-term blight on our community.
The application period is now closed. All applications submitted will be reviewed in the order they were received. All applicants will receive updates via email as they become available. Questions can be submitted to HCD@wacotx.gov.
We appreciate your patience as we continue to process applications.
- Businesses with fewer than 25 employees are eligible to apply.
- Must have been in business in a Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) If your business is in a Qualified Census Tract (QCT) or within the Waco City limits you are eligible to apply. Eligible area as of March 3, 2021(PDF, 629KB).
- Must demonstrate HUD eligibility requirements through one of the following:
- Demonstrate ownership by a low- to moderate-income (LMI) household,
- Maintain 51% of its employees meeting LMI criteria, or
- Any other CDBG-eligible areas
Applications will be reviewed by a Scoring Committee made up of various leaders in business and local government. Applications will be assessed and scored based on four components: Reduction in gross revenue from 2019 - 2021, type of business, years in operation, and business location. The maximum score for ARPA Grant and Construction Mitigation is 120. Applications with the highest scores will be reviewed, approved, notified, and funded first. Click the link below to download the scoring sheet.
Scoring Sheet(PDF, 97KB)
When will I receive my grant funds?
Sam.gov registration must be completed to distribute funds.
Awards totaling over $50,000 (accumulative) will be dispersed after City Council approval, contingent on the completion of the sam.gov registration. Council Meetings are held the first and third Tuesday of each month.
Awards of $50,000 or less will be distributed according to the description below.
ARPA Grant & Barriers to Success Distribution of Funds
Upon approval and receipt of all required documentation and signed grant agreements, funds will be distributed via electronic deposit within the time allowed given the high volume of applications being processed.
TIF Façade Program Distribution of Funds
Once all the following are met, funds will be distributed via electronic deposit within the time allowed given the high volume of applications being processed:
- Entity registration in sam.gov is complete
- Required documentation showing the work required under the grant agreement has been completed, including payment of work
Construction (i.e., street improvements) in front of the business by other agencies is complete