- Traffic Services operates and maintains the City’s 800MHz trunked radio communications system.
- Provides countywide radio communications for several county agencies.
- Vital Connection €“ 9-1-1 is ONLY a part.
- Currently, we are in the processing of installing a 12-channel digital 800MHz trunked radio communication system. This system will eventually replace the aging 10-channel analog 800MHz trunked radio communication system. Full implementation is slated for 2012.
Signals & Streetlights Division
- Responsible for the maintenance, repair, and upgrade for
- 198 signals
- 22 Warning Flashers
- 80 School Zone Flashers
- 34 Outdoor Warning Sirens
- 2,282 Street Light Poles and Fixtures throughout the City
Report a signal malfunction Call (254) 750-6634 Mon-Fri 8am-5pm OR Waco PD at (254) 750-7500 after 5pm and on weekends.
Signs & Markings Division
- The signs and markings crew is a division of Traffic Services. Signs and Markings are responsible for the installation, maintenance, and repair of most signs installed in the City of Waco. On TxDOT roads (i.e. Waco Drive), the city maintains minimal signage, however, citizens can report downed or missing signs and we will contact the appropriate individuals at the state.
- Along with sign installation the signs and markings crew is responsible for the painting of stop bars, crosswalks, and lane line striping.
- To report a sign that is damaged or in need of maintenance you may call the Traffic Office at (254) 750-6634 M-F 8am-5pm or the Police Department after 5pm and on weekends at (254) 750-7500. When calling please try to give an exact location so that the sign can be quickly located and repaired.
- The city operates a fully functional Sign Shop to fabricate all types of signs as needed by city departments. The sign shop can be contacted at (254) 750-6608.
Administration & Analysis
- We service all manner of traffic needs and requests through our staff of customer service representative and traffic analysts. Requests such as traffic control, traffic calming, pedestrian and bicyclist concerns, intersection sight obstructions, street names and warning signs, parking problems, street lights, etc. should be called into our office at (254) 750-6634.
- All requests and complaints are logged and investigated by a traffic analyst to determine the proper approach to satisfy the individual need.
- We ask that callers be as specific as possible about the nature of the request or problem so that we can deal with the cause of concern, and not simply treat the symptoms. It is helpful if we can continue discussing the problem with the customer after investigation, and will give a follow-up response after investigating the request or complaint.
- We frequently work with property owners with regard to sight obstructions on driveways, alleys, and streets at street intersections.
- Homeowners and residents should avoid placing fences, landscaping over three feet high, vehicles or other objects in such places where these would hinder visibility to operators of motor vehicles. See typical drawing here.
- Our traffic analysts are available to answer questions by phone or if necessary, meet with the homeowner or residents on-site to advise them about areas to avoid when placing the above items.