City of Waco May 7, 2016 General Elecetion
The City of Waco 2016 General Election will be held on Saturday, May 7, 2016 to elect CIty of Waco Mayor (A-L), Council Member District I and Council Member District III.
- Wednesday, January 20, 2016, is the first day a candidate may file an application for a place on the City of Waco Ballot.
- Friday, February 19, 2016, is the last day to file for a place on the ballot.
Applications must be received in the City Secretary’s Office by 5:00 p.m. on the last day to file. For more information contact the City Secretary’s Office at 254-750-5750. Applications will be available January 1, 2016.
Physical address for filing applications in person (Dirección física para presentar las solicitudes en persona para un lugar en la boleta): City Secretary’s Office First Floor – City Hall, 300 Austin Avenue Waco, Texas 76701
To mail an application for place on the ballot (Dirección a donde enviar las solicitudes para un lugar en la boleta en caso de presentar por correo): Esmeralda Hudson, City Secretary, PO Box 2570, Waco, Texas 76702-2570
La elección general de la Ciudad de Waco será el Sábado, 7 de mayo 2017. El primer día para solicitar un posición en la boleta electoral de la Ciudad de Waco es el miércoles, 20 de enero, 2016. El último día para solicitar un lugar en la boleta electoral es el viernes 19 de febrero, 2016. Las posiciones disponibles para la Ciudad de Waco son alcalde, Concejal de Distrito I, y Distrito III para que sirvan los términos completos de dos años.
Para más información póngase en contacto con la Oficina de la Secretaria de la Ciudad al 750-5750 o visite el sitio de internet de la Ciudad de Waco en www.waco-texas.com.
In 2016, the regular election of Council members will be held on the first Saturday of May. Each Council member serves two year terms. The Mayor and Council members from District I and III are elected in even number years. The Council members from Districts II, IV, and V are elected in odd number years. For more information contact the City Secretary at 750-5750 or come by the office on the 1st floor of City Hall, 300 Austin Avenue.
Standard Eligibility Requirements for Public Office
Election Code Sec. 141.001(a)
- Be a United States Citizen
- Be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election
- Have not been determined mentally incompetent by a final judgment of a court
- Have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities
- Have resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the territory, as applicable, for six months immediately preceding the deadline for filing an application for a place on the ballot
- Candidate must satisfy any other eligibility requirements prescribed by law for this office
City of Waco Home Rule Charter Requirements
- Citizen of United States
- 21 years of age
- Qualified voter of the State and City for 12 months immediately preceding the date of election
- If elected from a district, must be a resident of the district for six months preceding the date of election
- Candidate will file application with City Secretary designating office sought and sworn statement by the candidate that they are fully qualified under the Laws of the State of Texas and the provisions of the Charter
- Election Code Sec. 11.001 and 11.002 A person meets the age requirement for voting on the day before his 18th birthday [Sec. 1.016]
- 18 years of age or older on the day of the election
- Citizen of the United States
- Not disqualified as mentally incompetent
- Not disqualified as a convicted felon [Discharge papers issued by pardons & paroles division]
- Resident of the state on the day of the election
- A registered voter on the day of the election
Registered voter who meets all other requirements for voting. A registration becomes effective on the 30th day after the day the application is submitted to the registrar or on the date the applicant becomes 18 years old, whichever is later. [Sec. 13.143]
Eligibility to Vote
Election Code Sec. 11.001
- Be a qualified voter as defined above
- Be a resident of the territory covered by the election for the office on which the person desires to vote
- Satisfy all other requirements for voting prescribed by law for particular election.