Engineering Administrator / City Engineer — Full Time — Engineering
Hiring Salary: Commensurate with Experience
REQ #: 9260 — 1 Position(s)
Posted Date: 8/13/2014 Reposted Date: 1/23/2015 Closing Date: 3/6/2015
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
The City of Waco's Engineering Department is seeking to hire an Engineering Administrator / City Engineer; the incumbent will be responsible for:
• Executing a wide spectrum of City engineering projects using professional engineering methods and procedures.
• Overseeing and reviewing applications for right-of-way permits and making recommendations to approving authorities.
• Developing presentations for City Boards, Commissions, and City Council as needed.
• Participating in the selection of architectural and engineering consultants for City projects as required and review/make recommendations of the submittals for compliance with state and local standards and accepted practice.
• Oversee bidding, competency of contractors and vendors, and the selection criteria for public contracts, and oversees the construction of municipal projects to ensure contractor compliance with time and budget parameters.
• Managing employees of unit(s) by: establishing goals and objectives; deciding the overall work direction for the staff and their various areas of responsibility; communicating with staff; and by performing hiring, employee development, and disciplinary functions for assigned staff.
• Coordinating activities of water distribution, wastewater collection, street construction, maintenance and telecommunication providers.
• Reviewing Subdivision plats to include coordination with Planning Director to ensure compliance with City standards.
• Determining applicable codes, regulations, and requirements for assigned projects, and reviews private project development plans for compliance with codes, regulations, standards, adequacy of applications for permits and compliance with approved plans, working with other professional and technical staff and consultants as necessary.
• Recommend, develop, implement, and maintain advancements in technology related to operations which will provide optimum results in GIS, database management and sharing, records storage and retention, and other related elements that will improve service to both the internal and external customer.
• Demonstrate exemplary leadership qualities in maintaining harmony within the department and other departments.
• Maintain regular contact with construction project engineers, City, County, State and Federal agencies, professional and technical groups and the general public regarding division activities and services, and coordinates activities related to development of land and utilities for optimum results.
• Communicate policy and direction to others by: attending to customer/citizen complaints; revising, updating, and initiating departmental policies and procedures; preparing materials for Council presentations and public meetings, and conducting staff meetings.
• Manage the operation of unit(s) of responsibility by: preparing and overseeing unit(s) budget; monitoring current unit programs for relevance and effectiveness; compiling and entering data for monthly and annual reports; authorizing requisitions and expenditures for materials, equipment, and services; and monitoring the safety habits of field personnel.
• Review construction drawings and set scheduling priorities; set directions and resolve questions concerning major design issues.
• Monitor progress, approve pay estimates, and negotiate major construction issues with contractors such as progress of work, payment for additional work, and determine what constitutes additional work and therefore warrants additional payment.
• Assist in analyzing the capacity of infrastructure such as water, sewer, and storm drainage systems using relatively complex computer software.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Must follow City and departmental policies and procedures.
Works in climate controlled indoor environment. May be exposed to dust and loud noises when visiting construction sites.
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
Applicants must submit a completed City of Waco application in order to be considered for this position. Resumes may be attached to the completed application, but not in lieu of one. If a resume is attached, all questions on the application must still be answered completely. Applications are available online at the City's website, Click Here for Job Application , or at the City of Waco Human Resources Department located at 300 Austin Avenue. Applications may be submitted by e-mail as an attachment to email@example.com, fax to 254-750-5737 or by mail to City of Waco, Human Resources Department, PO BOX 2570, Waco, TX 76702. EOE
Driver’s License: Valid Class C Texas DL
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering is required.
Experience: Five years previous experience as a Licensed Professional Engineer in a related setting is required.
Certifications: Registration as a Professional Engineer in Texas or the ability to obtain such license within 6 months of hire.
Testing: No testing required.
Physical Demands: Light
Return to Job List