Engineer Supervisor / Assistant City Engineer — Full Time — Engineering
Hiring Salary: Commensurate with Experience
REQ #: 9259 — 1 Position(s)
Posted Date: 8/13/2014 Reposted Date: 1/23/2015 Closing Date: 3/6/2015
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
The City of Waco's Engineering Department is seeking to hire an Engineer Supervisor / Assistant City Engineer, the incumbent will be responsible for:
• Developing construction plans for various City departments by: preparing preliminary reports and cost estimates; designing streets, drainage, water, and sewer facilities; reviewing and sealing plans developed by City; and by preparing Storm Water Pollution Prevention plan if required. Responsible for designs prepared by in-house staff.
• Coordinating the development of construction plans by consultants by: conducting preliminary meetings; reviewing preliminary and final plans, specifications, and cost estimates; reviewing legal descriptions and maps for right-of-ways and easements.
• Assisting in analyzing the City's water, sewer, streets and storm drainage systems using modeling software to ensure improvements are properly modeled. Preparing and presenting management reports of departmental activities and accomplishments.
• Managing employees of unit(s) by: administering City policy directives; monitoring, managing, and developing on-going safety policies and procedures; coordinate all assigned personnel activities and functions by planning, prioritizing, delegating, supervising, and reviewing their work; and establishing training programs.
• Managing the operation of unit(s) of responsibility by: administering the department's mission and interpreting the City Council's and senior management's vision; planning and preparing the annual budgets; developing policies, procedures and short/long term goals; ensuring compliance with the rules and regulations mandated by various governmental agencies.
• Performing miscellaneous annual projects such as: conducting the annual Physical Street Inventory; revising the City Standard Construction Specifications; preparing periodic project status reports; and by coordinating engineering related activities with other City Departments and outside agencies.
• Ensuring employees are trained and work in accordance with the Safety Plan, Departmental Safety Plan, and applicable laws and regulations. Possess a basic understanding of safe work practices for employees.
• Must follow City and departmental policies and procedures.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Works in an indoor and outdoor environment. May be exposed to dangerous animals, dust, loud noises, noise and vibrations, fumes and odors, wetness/humidity, darkness or poor lighting, mechanical, chemical, electrical, and fire hazards when working outdoors or when visiting construction sites.
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
Applicants must submit a completed City of Waco application in order to be considered for this position. Resumes may be attached to the completed application, but not in lieu of one. If a resume is attached, all questions on the application must still be answered completely. Applications are available online at the City's website, Click Here for Job Application , or at the City of Waco Human Resources Department located at 300 Austin Avenue. Applications may be submitted by e-mail as an attachment to email@example.com, fax to 254-750-5737 or by mail to City of Waco, Human Resources Department, PO BOX 2570, Waco, TX 76702. EOE
Driver’s License: Valid Class C Texas DL
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering is required.
Experience: Five years previous experience as a Licensed Professional Engineer in a related setting is required.
Certifications: Registration as a Professional Engineer in Texas or the ability to obtain such license within 6 months of hire.
Testing: No testing required.
Physical Demands: Light
Return to Job List