Senior Landfill Operator — Full Time — Landfill - Solid Waste
Hiring Salary: $13.81 - $15.96 per hour
REQ #: 10185 — 1 Position(s)
Posted Date: 3/9/2017 Reposted Date: 11/7/2017 Closing Date: 11/21/2017
Hours: Must be able to work various hours and days with mandatory overtime.
PRIMARY DUTY: Under basic supervision, leads a crew of Landfill Operators performing customer service and maintenance functions at the City landfill and recycling center for Solid Waste Department (SWD).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Leads and trains a crew of Landfill Operators performing a variety of customer service and maintenance functions at the City landfill and recycling center; operates a variety of vehicles and equipment in accordance with all safety regulations; collects and sorts recycle materials; cleans and maintains grounds, facilities and equipment; monitors workflow and material disposition; collects yard waste and special items and assists with litter control assignments.
• Maintains positive customer relations by providing prompt and courteous service to the public with SWD questions, complaints and requests for services and information; delivers and removes SWD carts for residential and commercial accounts; performs duties within scope of authority and training and in compliance with City policies.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
• Driving is essential.
• City policies and procedures.
• Operation, maintenance and repair standards for specialized equipment and vehicles used in customer service operations and maintenance of SWD facilities.
• Leading and training staff in a variety of SWD job functions.
• Operating a variety of tools, equipment and vehicles in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures.
• Resolving customer service problems.
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
Applicants must submit a completed City of Waco application in order to be considered for this position. Resumes may be attached to the completed application, but not in lieu of one. If a resume is attached, all questions on the application must still be answered completely and accurately. If a question does not apply to you, please mark it "NA" Do not leave it blank. Incomplete applications will not be considered. To verify prior military experience, please include a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4) with your application. All answers are subject to verification. Applications are available online at the City's website, Click Here for the NEW City of Waco Job Application, or at the City of Waco Human Resources Department located at 300 Austin Avenue. Applications may be submitted by e-mail as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 254-750-5737 or by mail to City of Waco, Human Resources Department, PO BOX 2570, Waco, TX 76702. EOE
Driver's License: Valid Class C Texas DL ; a Class B Commercial Driver's License may be required
Education: High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required.
Experience: Two (2) years’ experience as a Landfill Operator at the City of Waco; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Physical Demands: Heavy work. Exerting in excess of 75 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The work is performed primarily within outside environmental conditions.
The worker is subject to both environmental conditions. Activities occur inside and outside with temperatures that may be below 32° or above 100° for periods of more than one hour. Consideration should be given to the effect of other environmental conditions, such as wind and humidity.
The worker is subject to exposure to hazardous traffic conditions
The worker is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level.
The worker is subject to hazards including a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working in high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
The worker is subject to atmospheric conditions. One or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system or the skin: chemicals, fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases, or poor ventilation.
Return to Job List >>