Senior Parks Maintenance Worker - CDL — Full Time — Parks and Recreation, Operations
Hiring Salary: $11.93 - $15.49 per hour
REQ #: 10184 — 1 Position(s)
Posted Date: 3/9/2017 Reposted Date: 11/7/2017 Closing Date: 11/21/2017
Hours: 7:00am - 3:30pm; Monday - Friday; some weekends required with mandatory overtime
PRIMARY DUTY: Under basic supervision, performs experienced semiskilled general labor work in cleaning and maintenance of City parks and grounds; cleans and maintains tools, equipment and heavy equipment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Performs unskilled and semiskilled manual labor tasks to maintain safe and attractive park system; maintains park facilities and grounds and follows all safety rules and regulations; works independently and makes appropriate decisions based on work experience; duties may vary according to job assignment.
• Operates heavy mechanized equipment; performs parks cleaning and maintenance tasks, including weed control, mowing, planting and watering; cleans up trash and debris and cleans facilities; prunes and trims trees and shrubs; assists with irrigation systems and chemical applications; loads and hauls materials.
• Inspects specialty vehicles and heavy equipment for proper operating condition; repairs and adjusts equipment and performs maintenance and preventive maintenance as needed.
• Enforces rules and regulations; assists with training new staff; reports unsafe acts, conditions, accidents and injuries; performs emergency cleaning and maintenance work as directed.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
• May be required to respond afterhours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a departmental or City wide emergency.
• Driving is essential.
• City policies and procedures.
• Proper use of tools, equipment and heavy equipment used in parks and grounds maintenance.
• Occupational hazards and safety precautions, including proper use and storage of chemicals and OSHA Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for hazardous chemicals used in the workplace.
• Closely following verbal and written instructions and procedures and safe work practices.
• Care, maintenance and safe operation of specialized tools and heavy equipment.
• Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
Applicants must submit a completed City of Waco application in order to be considered for this position. Resumes may be attached to the completed application, but not in lieu of one. If a resume is attached, all questions on the application must still be answered completely and accurately. If a question does not apply to you, please mark it "NA" Do not leave it blank. Incomplete applications will not be considered. To verify prior military experience, please include a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4) with your application. All answers are subject to verification. Applications are available online at the City's website, Click Here for the NEW City of Waco Job Application, or at the City of Waco Human Resources Department located at 300 Austin Avenue. Applications may be submitted by e-mail as an attachment to email@example.com, fax to 254-750-5737 or by mail to City of Waco, Human Resources Department, PO BOX 2570, Waco, TX 76702. EOE
Driver's License: Valid Class B Texas Commercial Drivers License
Education: High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required.
Experience: Three years’ experience in landscaping/grounds keeping work, preferably with City of Waco; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certifications: Chemical Applicator License is desired. According to the needs of the City, specific training and certifications may be required.
Physical Demands: Heavy work. Exerting in excess of 75 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Environmental Factors: The work is performed primarily within outside environmental conditions; with some travel from area to area.
The worker is subject to both environmental conditions. Activities occur inside and outside with temperatures that may be below 32° or above 100° for periods of more than one hour. Consideration should be given to the effect of other environmental conditions, such as wind and humidity.
The worker is subject to exposure to hazardous traffic conditions
The worker is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level.
The worker is subject to hazards including a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals and pesticides.
The worker is subject to atmospheric conditions. One or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system: fumes, odors, dust, mists, or gases.
Return to Job List >>