Senior Solid Waste Operator - CDL — Full Time — Solid Waste
Hiring Salary: $13.81 - $15.96 per hour
REQ #: 10409 — 1 Position(s)
Posted Date: 11/7/2017 Reposted Date: Closing Date: 11/21/2017
Hours: Monday - Friday; various hours with mandatory overtime.
PRIMARY DUTY: Under basic supervision, leads a crew of Solid Waste Operators transporting materials to the City landfill and recycling center for Solid Waste Department (SWD).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Leads and trains a crew of Solid Waste Operators collecting solid waste, refuse, bulky items and recyclable materials and transporting materials to the City landfill and recycling center; operates a variety of vehicles and equipment in accordance with all safety regulations; performs manual labor tasks as needed; maintains daily work logs and records; performs duties within scope of authority and training and in compliance with City policies; duties may vary according to job assignment.
• Operates specialized heavy equipment to move, grade and cover landfill materials; screens and checks refuse to remove hazardous and prohibited waste; utilizes proper safety precautions in all work performed; inspects and maintains vehicles and equipment according to City standards.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
• May be required to respond afterhours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a departmental or City wide emergency.
• Driving is essential.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• City policies and procedures.
• Operation and maintenance standards for specialized equipment and vehicles used in SWD operations.
• State laws and Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) guidelines governing operation of SWD vehicles and safe handling of hazardous materials.
• Leading and training staff in a variety of SWD job functions.
• Operating a variety of tools, equipment and vehicles in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures.
• Safely operating large motor vehicles within the constraints of City traffic
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
Applicants must submit a completed City of Waco application in order to be considered for this position. Resumes may be attached to the completed application, but not in lieu of one. If a resume is attached, all questions on the application must still be answered completely and accurately. If a question does not apply to you, please mark it "NA" Do not leave it blank. Incomplete applications will not be considered. To verify prior military experience, please include a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4) with your application. All answers are subject to verification. Applications are available online at the City's website, Click Here for the NEW City of Waco Job Application, or at the City of Waco Human Resources Department located at 300 Austin Avenue. Applications may be submitted by e-mail as an attachment to email@example.com, fax to 254-750-5737 or by mail to City of Waco, Human Resources Department, PO BOX 2570, Waco, TX 76702. EOE
High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required; AND two years’ experience operating heavy or light equipment is required; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
• A valid Texas Class B Commercial Driver’s License is required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Heavy work. Exerting in excess of 75 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• The conditions the worker will be subject to in this position
o Work is performed primarily in a vehicle traveling from site to site.
o The worker is subject to both environmental conditions. Activities occur inside and outside with temperatures that may be below 32° or above 100° for periods of more than one hour. Consideration should be given to the effect of other environmental conditions, such as wind and humidity.
o Exposure to hazardous traffic conditions
o The worker is subject to hazards including a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working in high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
o The worker is subject to atmospheric conditions. One or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system of the skin: fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases, or poor ventilation.
Return to Job List >>