Heavy Equipment Operator-CDL — Full Time — Public Works - Streets
Hiring Salary: $12.53 - $14.48 per hour
REQ #: 10325 — 1 Position(s)
Posted Date: 8/4/2017 Reposted Date: 11/3/2017 Closing Date: 11/24/2017
Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm; Monday-Friday; with mandatory overtime as required.
PRIMARY DUTY: Under basic supervision, performs semi-skilled work in the operation of specialized trucks and heavy motorized equipment used for a variety of job functions in the Public Works Department (PWD).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Operates a variety of specialized trucks and heavy motorized equipment to repair and maintain streets, roadways and infrastructure in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures; hauls materials and transports vehicles and equipment to job sites; duties may vary according to job assignment.
• Inspects and cleans vehicles, equipment and tools for proper operating condition; repairs, maintains and adjusts equipment; maintains usage logs; recognizes, avoids and reports unsafe acts, conditions, accidents and injuries; controls work projects to assure that safety rules and regulations are followed and that the work zone and all equipment are in safe operating condition.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
• Driving is essential.
• City policies and procedures.
• Operation and maintenance methods and standards for heavy equipment and specialized vehicles.
• Methods, tools and equipment used in maintenance of streets, roadways and infrastructure.
• Occupational hazards and safety rules for traffic control and vehicle operations on public streets.
• City geography, traffic patterns, streets, landmarks and PWD facility locations.
• Performing street and roadway maintenance and repair work.
• Making routine operating adjustments, repairs and preventive maintenance to assigned equipment.
• Closely following verbal and written instructions and procedures and safe work practices.
• Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
Applicants must submit a completed City of Waco application in order to be considered for this position. Resumes may be attached to the completed application, but not in lieu of one. If a resume is attached, all questions on the application must still be answered completely and accurately. If a question does not apply to you, please mark it "NA" Do not leave it blank. Incomplete applications will not be considered. To verify prior military experience, please include a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4) with your application. All answers are subject to verification. Applications are available online at the City's website, Click Here for the NEW City of Waco Job Application, or at the City of Waco Human Resources Department located at 300 Austin Avenue. Applications may be submitted by e-mail as an attachment to email@example.com, fax to 254-750-5737 or by mail to City of Waco, Human Resources Department, PO BOX 2570, Waco, TX 76702. EOE
High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required; AND two years’ heavy equipment operations experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
• A valid Texas Class A Commercial Driver’s License with Tanker Endorsement must be obtained within 180 days of hire.
• Special training and licensing may be required for some incumbents.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Physical requirements:
Heavy work. Exerting in excess of 75 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• Environmental Conditions:
The work is performed primarily within outside environmental conditions; with travel from area to area.
The worker is subject to exposure to hazardous traffic conditions
The worker is subject to both environmental conditions. Activities occur inside and outside with temperatures that may be below 32° or above 100° for periods of more than one hour. Consideration should be given to the effect of other environmental conditions, such as wind and humidity.
The worker is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level.
The worker is subject to hazards including a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
The worker is subject to atmospheric conditions. One or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system or the skin: chemicals, fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases, or poor ventilation.
Return to Job List >>