Senior Animal Services Technician — Full Time — Animal Services
Hiring Salary: $10.82 - $12.51 per hour
REQ #: 10404 — 1 Position(s)
Posted Date: 10/31/2017 Reposted Date: Closing Date: 11/28/2017
Hours: 8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday - Friday; Hours may vary to include weekends; Must be able to work on-call as assigned.
PRIMARY DUTY: Under basic supervision, provides experienced care for animals in the City animal shelter.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Cleans Animal Shelter daily, including feeding, watering and grooming animals; monitors animals for illness and disease and provides medications; euthanizes animals and processes animal carcasses.
• Provides customer assistance; maintains and updates files and assists with reports and computer entry
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
• Participate in animal control basic training and work in the field when necessary.
• Driving is essential.
• City policies and procedures.
• Policies, rules and regulations governing the conduct and safety of Animal Control programs.
• Basic record keeping practices and customer service standards and protocols.
• Geography, roads and landmarks of City and surrounding areas.
• Safety rules and regulations, occupational hazards and safety precautions in public facilities.
• Explaining federal and state rules and regulations and City ordinances, policies and procedures.
• Dealing tactfully and courteously with the public.
• Following and enforcing verbal and written instructions and procedures.
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
Applicants must submit a completed City of Waco application in order to be considered for this position. Resumes may be attached to the completed application, but not in lieu of one. If a resume is attached, all questions on the application must still be answered completely and accurately. If a question does not apply to you, please mark it "NA" Do not leave it blank. Incomplete applications will not be considered. To verify prior military experience, please include a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4) with your application. All answers are subject to verification. Applications are available online at the City's website, Click Here for the NEW City of Waco Job Application, or at the City of Waco Human Resources Department located at 300 Austin Avenue. Applications may be submitted by e-mail as an attachment to email@example.com, fax to 254-750-5737 or by mail to City of Waco, Human Resources Department, PO BOX 2570, Waco, TX 76702. EOE
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required; OR and equivalent combination of education and experience.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION: Must possess a valid Class C Texas Driver’s License. Euthanasia Certification desired.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Heavy work. Exerting in excess of 75 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• Required physically restrain animals.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Work is performed primarily in an indoor setting or well-lit, temperature-controlled working environment. Exposed to extreme heat, cold, humidity, and precipitation; Exposed to loud noises from animals; and may be exposed to communicable diseases such as rabies. May be exposed to dangerous animals, dust, vibrations, fumes, and odors. The worker’s primary role involves working with all types, sizes and temperaments of animals. The worker is subject to hazards including a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals. The worker is subject to atmospheric conditions. One or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system or the skin: chemicals, fumes, odors, dust, mists, dander, gases, or poor ventilation. The worker is frequently in close quarters, crawl spaces, enclosed rooms and other areas that could cause claustrophobia. The worker is required to function in narrow aisles or passageways.
Return to Job List >>