Disposing of Refrigerators & Freezers

Household refrigerators and freezers manufactured before 1995 typically contain chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) refrigerant. Most window air-conditioning units and dehumidifiers contain hydrochlorofluorocarbon (HCFC) refrigerant. CFCs and HCFCs are regulated substances due to environmental concerns.

In the Waco area, you can donate working units or, if the refrigerant has been removed, recycle those units and get some money in return!

Places that are currently accepting refrigerators or freezers and air-conditioning units, are:

Waco ReStore
(accepts working units only)
(254) 756-0131

M Lipsitz & Company, Inc.
(will pay for items; must have refrigerant removed by certified technician)
Commercial Metals Company
(will pay for items; must have refrigerant removed by certified technician)

Waco Landfill will accept items containing refrigerant from any resident for a $15 fee per appliance. The fee is for Freon removal. Please call (254) 299-2620 to learn more. 

Waco Solid Waste Services also requires the refrigerant to be removed from appliances before they will accept it for pick-up. In such cases owners would need to hire a technician with certified recovery equipment to remove the refrigerant prior to disposal. To schedule a pick-up, please call Customer Service at (254) 299-2612.

NOTE: Do not attempt to remove refrigerant or compressors yourself. Improperly handled refrigerant may result in physical harm. Only properly trained individuals using EPA-approved refrigerant recovery equipment should attempt to remove refrigerant from appliances.

Waco residents can also take their refrigerator, freezer, or air conditioner to:

Cobbs Recycling Center
2021 N. 44th Street
(between Cobbs Dr & Trice Ave)

Operating hours:
Tuesday – Saturday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Phone number: (254) 751-8536

Refrigerators or freezers, and air-conditioning units are accepted from City of Waco residents only, with the proof of residency* required. There is a $15 fee for removal of the refrigerant.

Proof of Residency is:(1) A current City of Waco Water Utilities bill which has “Residential Refuse Services” detailed on it, and (2) a current driver’s license with the address matching the address on the bill.