Create the Healthiest County in Texas where all people, can live, play, work and thrive.
In partnership with the community, we will continuoulsly improve through creative innovation and collaboration the health and well-being of the citizens and environment of our county.
Dedicated to achieving our very best in all that we do
Accountable to our customers and community
Impementation of available best practices and continuoulsly improving effectiveness through innovation and collabaoration
Championing opportunities to improve community wellness
Guide all programs, policies and practices using concepts of fairness, justice and cultural responsiveness
Provide the tools, support and information to facilitate positive health choices
Provide interventions and programs to improve the health and well-being of our citizens and the environment of our county.
Develop partnerships to address community health issues.
Increase awareness of the value and role of the Health District as a leader in public health.
Focus on health intitiatives that address socail and cultrual barriers within priority populations.
Ensure training for all staff on healthy equity and community engagement.
Board of Health
Civic and Voluntary Associations
In partnership with the community, we will continuously improve through creative innovation and collaboration the health and well-being of the citizens and environment of our county to create the healthiest county in Texas where all people can live, play, work and thrive. This is the mission and vision of the Waco-McLennan County Public Health District.
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention identifies Core Public Health Functions as Assessment, Policy Development and Assurance. The 10 Essential Public Health Services describe the public health activities that communities should undertake and serve as a framework for addressing the core public health functions.The Waco-McLennan County Public Health District utilizes this framework as we provide the various services to residents of the county. There are many program goals and objectives that are identified in this strategic plan; however, the ultimate goal is to promote and protect the public’s health through prevention, education and partnerships within the community of McLennan County.
The Waco-McLennan County Public Health District Board is an advisory board created to provide guidance on public health activities, including policy development for the protection and promotion of health within McLennan County, Texas. The Board is composed of 17 Representatives; including 14 Government Representatives and 3 Community Representatives which are appointed by their respective city, agency, or the county.
The Health District has 82 employees that provide excellent public health services. The Waco City Manager recommends the appointment of the Director in accordance with the Texas Health and Safety Code. The Board, by majority vote, must approve the appointment of the Director. The Health Authority is appointed by the Director subject to approval by the Board by a majority vote. Program Administrators and Supervisors administer the public health programs and services outlined below, in collaboration with staff and volunteers.
• Provides oversight for overall operations of services provided by the Health District
• Collaborates with the Prosper Waco Collective Impact Initative
• Provides oversight for development and implementation of the Strategic Plan
• Provides food safety classes for food handlers and managers
• Conducts food establishment inspections, follow-up, closures, complaint investigations
• Provides pool/spa inspections, follow-up, closures
• Provides inspections for childcare, foster homes and adoptive homes
• Oversees On-Site Sewage Facility permit applications, inspections, investigations
• Investigates nuisance complaints related to environmental issues
• Epidemiology- provides disease surveillance and recommends appropriate prevention measures, treatment, and control; completes the McLennan County Community Needs Assessment
• Immunizations- provides childhood and adult immunizations and other program requirements through the Texas Vaccine For Children program; provides foreign travel and private pay immunizations; provides education on vaccine recommendations and the use of electronic immunization registry
• Health Education- provides diabetes education, cooking classes, physical activity sessions and other activities; addresses issues such as preventing and reducing tobacco use; preventing and reducing obesity, and increasing access to and high impact quality preventive services; implements strategies to address infant mortality; promotes healthy lifestyle choices through the provision of health education to organizations, groups, citizens of the county on various health related topics; began work on the McLennan County Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP) in collaboration with other community partners to address issues such obesity, access to care, and women’s health
• Public Health Preparedness- addresses capabilities associated with the Department of State Health Services Preparedness grant regarding public health system response planning; collaborates with emergency management partners to be able to respond to public health emergencies
• Tuberculosis Control-provides care to residents diagnosed with active tuberculosis and those exposed through screenings, medical evaluations, chest x-rays, medication, and follow-up; provides education to medical provides
• Provides nutrition education, nutritious foods, health care referrals, and breastfeeding support
• Provides HIV/AIDS education, testing, and case management services
• Provides testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases
• Provides Pap Smear testing for HIV+ females
• Provides limited immunizations for HIV/AIDS clients
• Provides community education to minimize spread of diseases
• Provides pregnancy testing
• Provides lab testing on limited basis to support HIV/STD/TB clinics
• Registers births and deaths within the city limits of Waco
• Collects fees from clients in centralized location
• Bills for services provided
• Coordinates credentialing for private health insurance companies