Salary & Benefits
Applicants who have a permanent and current TCOLE peace officer’s license may qualify for a modified Academy or Fast Track Program.
(Degree/Certification Pay must be requested after probation period ends)
- Intermediate Certification or Associate Degree - $100 monthly
- Advance Certification or Bachelors Degree - $150 monthly (College degree must be in a job-related field)
- Master Peace Officer Certification - $200 monthly
- Shift Differential Pay: Officer who work a shift in which more than 50% of their assigned shift is worked after 6:00 p.m. and before 6:00 a.m. are eligible for differential pay.
- Longevity Pay: Each full-time employee receives four (4) dollars per month for each year of service not to exceed 25 years.
- Bilingual Pay: Based on departmental needs and the City Manager's approval, officers who demonstrate the required level of proficiency in translating Spanish to English and English into Spanish through Department approved testing will be eligible to receive additional pay in the amount of $75.00 per month.
The following are some of the benefits provided to Police Officers by the City of Waco.
- Vacation: Eighteen (18) paid vacation days per year (based on 8-hour days).
- Holidays: Ten (10) paid holidays per year (based on 8-hour days).
- Patrol Work Shift: Four 10-hour work days. (off Friday thru Sunday six months out of the year).
- Military Leave: Officers are allowed 15 working days annually to fulfill reservist obligations.
- Sick Leave: Sick time is accrued at a rate of 15 working days annually. (Unlimited accrual)
- Insurance: The City of Waco may pay a portion of the employee's cost of health care. The amount paid could vary from year to year. Dependent family members can be added for an additional cost. Insurance benefits available include life and health.
- Physical Wellness Program: If approved, officers may be allowed to exercise on duty in the department's fully equipped gym. Gym is open 24 hours a day.
- 20 Year Retirement: Officers are eligible to retire after 20 years of service. The City matches the employee's contribution 2 to 1 in the Texas Municipal Retirement System.
- Deferred Compensation Plan: Participation in Deferred Compensation is available for employees who want to save additional money for retirement and not pay taxes on the money until it is withdrawn at retirement. The City offers three deferred compensation plans: Metlife, ICMA, and Nationwide
- Uniforms and Equipment provided
Waco Police Employment >>